your old stove?
Old wood stoves are inefficient and produce a lot of smoke—both indoors and outdoors. New devices heat much cleaner and more efficiently. Other benefits of upgrading include:
– Save money on heating
– Protect your family’s health
– Reduce dust and soot in your home
2021-2023: Federal Tax Credits Purchasing & Installing Biomass Stoves (includes wood, wood pellets)
improving your home’s heat!
Give us a call.
509-477-4727 ext. 115
Save $800 -$2,000 to replace your old wood heating device!
If you’re a homeowner in Spokane County (incorporated or unincorporated) and you heat with an old wood stove or wood fireplace insert, you may qualify to save on an upgrade:
Wood to wood = $800 discount
Wood to pellet = $1,200
Wood to gas* = $1,600
Wood to ductless, mini-split heat pump = $2,000
Your existing wood stove/insert must be non-EPA certified or manufactured prior to 2000. It must be installed and operational. Review this webpage for details and if you are still interested, complete the application. Please note that this program is not retroactive, therefore if you’ve already removed your old wood burning device, you do not qualify.
This program is administered by Spokane Regional Clean Air Agency with grant funding from the Washington State Department of Ecology.
To qualify, you must:
- Be the owner of a home located in Spokane County (incorporated or unincorporated).
- Have an installed, operational wood burning stove, either free standing or inserted in the fireplace, that is non-EPA certified and/or was manufactured prior to 2000. Fireplaces do not qualify.
- Use your wood burning device on a regular basis and burn at least two cords during a typical heating season. Due to limited funds, occasional use (e.g. weekends only, for aesthetics, etc.) does not qualify.
If you qualify, a discount will be provided by the participating business:
If you qualify, you’ll receive a voucher and a list of businesses that are participating. You present the voucher to the business of your choice from the list, and they will discount your replacement (purchase and installation must both be provided by the business) by the following amount:
Wood – Wood = $800
Wood to pellet = $1,200
*Wood to gas = $1,600
Wood to ductless, “mini-split” heat pump = $2,000
*New state grant funding requirement: If an applicant wants to replace their old wood stove/insert with a gas stove/insert, the applicant must document that gas is the most cost-effective option for them.
How can I tell if my wood heating stove/insert is “non-EPA certified” or was made before 2000?
Homemade devices and most devices built up until the early-to-mid 1990s are non-certified.
Look for a plate/tag on the device and a manufactured date. Refer to the original paperwork if you have it. If still unsure, contact Spokane Clean Air and we may be able to assist you.
I just bought a new woodstove and recycled my old one. Can I get a rebate?
Unfortunately, no. This program is not retroactive.
How do I apply?
After reviewing this webpage and determining that you meet the minimum criteria, apply by selecting the “Appy Here” at the bottom of this webpage.
Once approved, a voucher will be sent to you with a list of approved participating retailers. The retailer of your choice from the list will subtract the value of the voucher from the purchase and installation of a new device. Applicants have six weeks to present the voucher to a retailer, make a deposit and schedule the installation. Please note: This program is not retroactive. If you’ve already removed your device and/or purchased a new device, you will not qualify.
Funds are limited and therefore not guaranteed unless a voucher has been issued and is not expired
Allow 7-10 days for application processing.
How this wood stove change-out program works
- An application must be sent be submitted along with a current photo of the installed and operational wood stove or stove insert you wish to changeout.
- Spokane Clean Air staff reviews applications to determine if qualification requirements have been met. Applicants may be called to provide additional information so be sure to include your phone number on the application form.
- Applicants will receive a letter of qualification or rejection, with an explanation. If qualified, a dated voucher along with a list of participating retailers will be included. Voucher recipients must purchase their device from, and have it installed by, one of the participating businesses. New businesses can join the program by contacting Spokane Clean Air (477-4727 ext 115) and submitting the necessary paperwork.
- Voucher recipients present their original voucher (no copies) to a participating business at the time of purchase. The value of the voucher will be subtracted from the customer’s bill.
- The business is responsible for taking a photo of the existing device prior to removing it, and a photo of the new device once it’s installed. If the existing device is already removed, the voucher is VOID.
- The business is responsible for removing and documenting the destruction of the old device. The cost for removal is borne by either the customer or the business. The business will obtain the proper permit and perform the installation. The program recipient is responsible to call the permit department for an final inspection where applicable.
- The business will submit an invoice and all required paperwork to Spokane Clean Air for reimbursement.
Important! Read these program terms. By applying, you agree to the following:
- I am the owner of a home located within Spokane County.
- I have an installed, operational non-EPA certified or pre-2000 wood stove or wood insert that I use regularly during the heating season. I burn a minimum of 2 cords of wood during a typical heating season.
- I understand this incentive program is not retroactive. If I have already removed and/or replaced my woodstove, then I do not qualify for this program.
- I will relinquish my old wood stove or insert to the business who will remove it when they install my new device. If my device is already removed, the voucher is void. If I’ve already purchased a new device, the voucher is void.
- If I am replacing a fireplace insert, I may only replace it with an insert (wood, gas or pellet).
- If I select gas, I agree that gas is the most affordable option for me over wood, pellet or ductless heat pump.
- I agree to complete a follow-up written or phone survey conducted by Spokane Clean Air.
- I understand that participants are limited to one voucher per household.
- I understand that complete applications are processed in the order received. Vouchers will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding is limited, therefore not guaranteed.
- I understand that if I qualify, I will receive a voucher and a list of participating businesses. These businesses have signed up for the program by agreeing to program terms, including honoring the voucher. If I fail to present the voucher to the business at the time of purchase, the business does not have to honor the voucher.
- I understand that I am responsible to pay the business for the purchase price and professional installation costs, including all applicable taxes, less the discount voucher amount.
- Spokane Clean Air does not guarantee any devices purchased under this program or the installation of such devices, regarding the quality, functionality or satisfaction of the device and/or installation.