Local businesses making a difference
Clean air is one of our most precious resources and we all have a role in helping protect it, including businesses. Most businesses are dedicated to minimizing their air emissions. In addition, many businesses go above and beyond air quality requirements by implementing other measures, such as employee commute trip reduction, no-idle policies, green building and energy efficiency, and a host of other efforts that help protect Spokane County’s air, water and land resources.
We believe it is important to recognize businesses for their efforts to improve air quality and to share these stories with the community. To that end, we provide two recognition programs, described below.
Clean Air Award – an annual program
Each year, Spokane Clean Air recognizes a company for their innovation, leadership, and commitment toward improving air quality. The award is presented to publicly to express our appreciation for their efforts and to encourage other businesses to follow suit. Businesses in our annual registration program are nominated and internally vetted by staff.
The 2023 Clean Air Award recipient is Rob’s Demolition! Read more…
Past recipients, in alphabetical order:
AFCO Distribution & Milling
Beacon Cleaners & Laundry
Costco Gasoline Facility, north
Eastern Washington University
Ed’s Premier Auto Body
ExxonMobil Spokane Terminal
Fairchild Air Force Base
Hotstart Thermal Management
Inland Empire Paper Co
Providence Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital
Spokane International Airport
Doing Our Share for Clean Air – A biennial recognition program
Spokane Clean Air strives to recognize local businesses for the work they do to reduce air emissions and improve air quality in our community.
In January of every-other year, we send forms to businesses in our registration program. They can choose to complete the form to receive either silver or gold recognition. The 2023-2024 recognition cycle has closed. Consider applying in January 2025!
Silver award recognition are those businesses meeting air quality requirements for their business.
Gold award recognizes businesses that have gone “above and beyond” their requirements by implementing additional actions to improve air quality.
To receive recognition, businesses must meet the minimum criteria listed below:
- The facility has not been issued a Notice of Violation (NOV) by Spokane Clean Air in the last two calendar years and during the most recent facility inspection.
- The Annual Registration Form is complete and submitted to Spokane Clean Air by the required due date for the two most recent data collection cycles.
- The Annual Registration fees were submitted to Spokane Clean Air by the required due date during the two most recent billing cycles.
Must meet the Silver award requirements, plus:
- The facility has not been issued a Corrective Action (CA) by Spokane Clean Air in the last two calendar years and during the most recent inspection of my facility
- The facility has implemented at least two measures that go “above and beyond” air quality requirements. Examples include:
- Energy Efficiency – lighting, heating/cooling, water heating, equipment, combustion efficiency
- Process changes, source reduction, material substitution
- Sector Specific – back-up generators, boilers, dry cleaners, gas stations, printers, surface coaters
- Transportation – commute trip reduction, no idle policies, cleaner fleet vehicles
- Participated in the Spokane Clean Air’s P2 consultation in the past
- Is a local EnviroCertified business
Congratulations to these 2023-2024 businesses who earned gold-level recognition!
American Way Collision Center
Ball & Dodd Funeral Home
Broadway Mini Market
Can Am Body LLC
Cowles Real Estate Group
Fairchild Air Force Base
Hennessey Funeral Home
Horizon Credit Union
My Car Collision Center
Northeast Washington ESD
Pavement Maintenance Technologies
PDQ Ten Stop
Profile Products LLC
Riplinger Funeral Home
The Coeur D’Alene Window Co
Travis Iron Works
Tristar North Inc.
Mann-Grandstaff VA Medical Center
Meet our 2023 Clean Air Award recipient
We are extremely pleased to recognize Rob’s Demolition with this year’s Clean Air Award.
“Rob’s Demolition is to be commended for the impeccable work they do on multiple levels to ensure that asbestos is properly identified and handled prior to demolition,” said Scott Windsor, Spokane Clean Air’s Executive Director.