Wood Stove Change-Out Program
Do you heat with an old wood burning stove or wood burning insert?
Save $700 -$1,500 to upgrade it!
If you’re a homeowner in Spokane County (incorporated or unincorporated) and you heat with an old wood stove or wood fireplace insert, you may qualify to save on an upgrade to a new wood, pellet, or gas stove/insert, or a ductless, “mini-split” heat pump. Your existing wood stove/insert must be non-EPA certified or manufactured prior to 2000. This program is not retro-active.
Old wood stoves are inefficient and produce a lot of smoke—both indoors and outdoors. New devices heat much cleaner and more efficiently. Other benefits of upgrading include:
- Save money on heating
- Protect your family’s health
- Reduce dust and soot in your home
How much can I save?
The discount amount is based on the type of device you select for your upgrade, listed below. There is a limit of one changeout per household.
- $700 for a wood-to-wood changeout
- $1,000 for a wood to pellet changeout
- $1,250 for a wood to gas changeout
- $1,500 for a wood to mini-split ductless heat pump changeout
Purchase and installation costs vary based on device, with a starting price of about $3,000. Additional discounts may be offered by participating hearth dealers and some utility companies offer additional rebates on certain types of ductless heat pumps. The discount amount is subtracted from the purchase and installation cost of the new device by a participating home heating/hearth business.
Minimum criteria must be met to qualify, including:
- Be the owner of a home located in Spokane County (incorporated or unincorporated).
- Have an installed, operational wood burning stove, either free standing or inserted in the fireplace, that is non-EPA certified and/or was manufactured prior to 2000. Fireplaces do not qualify.
- Use your wood burning device on a regular basis to heat your home as a primary or secondary heat source. Due to limited funds, occasional wood burners (i.e. weekends only, etc.) do not qualify.
- Submit a complete application form (linked below) and a photo of your existing, installed and operational wood stove or wood insert.
Fireplace vs Fireplace Insert:
Fireplaces or fireplaces with accessories (screens, glass doors, blowers) are not considered fireplace inserts and therefore do not qualify to be replaced under this grant program.
A fireplace insert is a manufactured stove that is designed to be inserted into a fireplace that is already there. A fireplace insert is basically a fireproof box that's surrounded by steel or cast iron and fronted by insulated glass, creating a closed (airtight) combustion system. The steel or cast iron helps to trap the heat.
How can I tell if my wood heating stove/insert is “non-EPA certified” or was made before 2000?
- Homemade devices and most devices built up until the early-to-mid 1990s are non-certified.
- Look for a plate/tag on the device and a manufactured date.
- Refer to the original paperwork if you have it. A link to a list of EPA certified devices is at https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/ezshare/AQ/PDFs/wood-stoves-approved.pdf
- If your device isn’t on the list, and doesn’t have a label, it’s probably not certified. If still unsure, contact Spokane Clean Air and we may be able to assist you.
How do I apply?
If you believe you meet the minimum criteria outlined above, download this application form, complete the form and submit with a photo of your device.
Email: woodstoves@spokanecleanair or mail to Spokane Clean Air, 3104 E. Augusta Ave., Spokane, WA 99207.
What happens next?
If your application is approved, voucher will be sent to you with a list of approved participating retailers. The retailer of your choice from the list will subtract the value of the voucher from the purchase and installation of a new device. Applicants have six weeks to present the voucher to a retailer, make a deposit and schedule the installation.
Please note: This program is not retroactive. If you’ve already removed your device and/or purchased a new device, you will not qualify. Funds are limited and therefore not guaranteed unless a voucher has been issued and is not expired. Allow 7-10 days for application processing.
Call 477-4727, ext. # 115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you a business interested in participating?
If you are a hearth business that sells and installs wood, gas, pellet stoves/inserts and/or ductless heat pumps, you can contact us to participate. Call (509) 477-4727 ext 115.