Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter See us on YouTube

Air Quality

Current Air Quality


Burn Restrictions

Burning Restrictions


Outdoor Burning
Agricultural Burning
Recreational Fires
Silvicultural Burning
Yard & Garden Debris
Firefighting Instruction Fires
Other Types of Outdoor Burning

Other Types of Outdoor Burning

Flag Retirement Ceremony Fires

A flag retirement ceremony fire is for the purpose of disposing cotton or wool flags of the USA by fire, pursuant to 36 US Code 176(k). Burning flags of synthetic materials (e.g. nylon) is prohibited. A permit is not required for flag retirement ceremony fires. 

Land Clearing Fires

Land clearing fires are prohibited. However, residential land clearing fires to abate or prevent forest fire hazards may fit the definition of silvicultural burning if:

If the all of the above items are met, Spokane Clean Air may defer the decision to DNR to approve the fire and issue a permit, pursuant to a Memorandum of Understanding between the two agencies. In doing so, DNR acknowledges that the fire is silvicultural burning and subject to requirements (Chapter 332-24 WAC). For more information on silvicultural burning, please contact DNR's Colville, WA office at (509) 685-6900.

Noxious Weed Abatement

We delegated the administration of noxious weed burning to the Spokane County Noxious Weed Control Board (Weed Board). Noxious weed abatement fires are for the sole purpose of disposing of noxious weeds identified on the State Noxious Weed List, Chapter 16-750 WAC. Burning is not allowed inside Urban Growth Areas, inside Spokane Clean Air's No Burn Area where smoke is likely to affect neighbors, or where there are alternatives to burning.

You need to obtain a written permit from the Weed Board before noxious weed burning may occur. A permit is valid for 30 days. A. The submittal of the fee does not guarantee approval of the application. If a permit is issued, it will include specific conditions for burning. Contact the Weed Board at (509) 477-5777 for permit application and assistance.

Storm or Flood Debris

Fires consisting of natural vegetation deposited on lands by storms or floods that have occurred in the previous two years and resulted in an emergency being declared or proclaimed in the area by the city, county, or state government and burned on such lands by the property owner or his or her designee (RCW 70.94.743 (1)(c)). Burning is not allowed inside Urban Growth Areas, inside Spokane Clean Air’s No Burn Area where burning would likely cause smoke impacts to neighbors, or where there are alternatives to burning. 

Please contact Derek Aubrey at (509) 477-4727, extension 120, or email him for assistance prior to submitting the permit application.

Other Outdoor Fires

"Other outdoor fires" are fires not specified in Regulation I, Article VI, Section 6.01. These fires will generally be limited to those deemed necessary to protect public health and safety and will generally not be allowed unless Spokane Clean Air determines that extenuating circumstances exist.

A permit application must be submitted at least 10 working days prior to the first proposed burn date. A written permit from us is generally required pursuant to Section 6.01E.  The applicant is responsible for payment of a permit application fee in the amount specified on the permit application and in our Consolidated Fee Schedule.

Please contact Derek Aubrey at (509) 477-4727, extension 120 or email him for assistance prior to submitting this permit application form and supplement information. 


3104 E Augusta Ave, Spokane, WA 99207 · (509) 477-4727 · working with you for clean air

| Print Page