Firefighting Instruction Fires
Firefighting instruction fires may be conducted only by fire protection agencies for the sole purpose of firefighter training and do not require a permit. Firefighting instruction fires include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Structural fire training
- Aircraft crash rescue fire training
- Extinguisher training
- Other types of fire training (car rescue fire training, simulated fires at permanent fire training facilities, mobile fire training units, etc.)
Structural Fire Training
Only a fire protection agency may conduct structural fire training and may do so without a permit provided that all of the following requirements are met:
- The owner and fire protection agency(ies) must meet the requirements in SRCAA Regulation I, Article IX – Asbestos Control Standards and SRCAA Regulation I, Article X, Section 10.09 – Asbestos Project And Demolition Notification Waiting Period And Fees, prior to conducting the training. This includes clearly identifying structures on the Notice of Intent that will be used for structural fire training.
- The fire protection agency(ies) conducting the fire training must have a fire training plan available to SRCAA upon request, and the purpose of the structural fire must be to train firefighters.
- Composition roofing, asphalt roofing shingles, asphalt siding materials, miscellaneous debris from inside the structure, carpet, linoleum, and floor tile shall not be burned unless such materials are an essential part of the fire training exercise and are described as such in the fire training plan. Materials removed from the structure(s) must be disposed of in a lawful manner prior to the training exercise.
- Structural fire training shall not be conducted if, in consideration of prevailing air patterns, the fire is likely to cause a nuisance.
- The fire protection agency(ies) conducting the training must provide notice to the owners of property adjoining the property on which the fire training will occur, to other persons who potentially will be impacted by the fire, and to additional persons in a broader manner if specifically requested by SRCAA.
- Structural fire training shall be performed in accordance with RCW 52.12.150.
- Persons conducting structural fire training are responsible for responding to citizen inquiries and resolving citizen complaints caused by the training activity.
Structural Fire Training Exercises by Fire Districts fact sheet (PDF format)